Job Title: Tutors in English as a Second Language (Fixed-term, Full Time Posts)
School/Department: Wanli Education Group/UNNC Affiliated High School
Salary: RMB 160,000–300,000 RMB per annum, depending on skills and experience, salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance. An attractive package including accommodation allowance, international travel allowance and insurance will be provided for international appointments. In addition, a bonus of a one month’s salary will be paid on satisfactory completion of each academic year.
These posts are available from Aug 25, 2017, although later start dates are negotiable, and will initially be offered on fixed-term contracts with Wanli Education Group for a period of up to two years in the first instance. Contracts may be extended on an indefinite basis by mutual agreement, subject to revised terms and conditions.
Hours of Work: Based on 36.25 hour working week. Teaching up to a maximum of 18 hours per week.
Location: UNNC Affiliated High School, Ningbo China
Reporting to: Head of UNNC Affiliated High School
There will be two English teachers for each class: the ESL teacher, and a Chinese teacher of English. The two teachers will work together to offer intensive English teaching, clubs, reading circles, discussion groups, one-to-one mentoring, group projects and English cultural programmes. They will encourage student self-assessment, offer formative assessment and evaluation of the programme, alongside preparation for the summative assessments of the Gaokao exam.
Both ESL teachers and Chinese teachers of English will be responsible for the all-round development of English in and out of the classroom. The ESL teacher will have specific responsibility for developing pedagogy in line with best practice in ESL, and for preparing students for further academic study in English.
Good teamwork spirit and high professional standards are required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teaching up to a maximum of 18 hours per week (to agreed standards from a given syllabus)
• Pastoral care of students and language advice via an established personal tutorial system.
• Administrative duties relating to teaching (assessment, standardisation, lesson preparation, report writing, attendance of regular course and general meetings).
• Effective liaison with the other members of the English language teaching staff. School management team, and representatives from UNNC.
• Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the post.
These posts do not carry a formal academic research requirement. However, the UNNC Affiliated High School has a strong commitment to professional development of staff, and candidates showing a strong background in/potential for ESL-related research are actively encouraged to apply.
This job description may be subject to revision following discussion with the person(s) appointed and forms part of the contract of employment.
• First degree in English and/or related subject, Certificate in English Language Teaching
• Confidence in analysing language and providing constructive and explicit feedback on students’ spoken and written work
• Ability to work in a team and to teach and assess to agreed criteria
• Ability to work under pressure and meet administrative/marking deadlines
• Good oral and written presentation skills, including excellent word-processing skills
• English as a first language, or equivalent English language competence.
• Significant experience of full-time ESL teaching
• Experience of teaching overseas outside of Western Europe, preferably in mainland China
• Cambridge ESOL DELTA or MA in ELT/Applied Linguistics (or equivalent)
• Evidence of ongoing professional development within the field of ELT (e.g. appropriate professional memberships; attendance at conferences; publications and presentations)
• some EAP-related teaching (e.g. UK University summer ‘Pre-sessional’ teaching) teaching experience
• Experience of teaching Chinese High School/University students
• ESL curriculum and materials development.
An attractive package, including accommodation allowance, flights and insurance, will be provided to all successfully appointed candidates.
All posts will be based in Ningbo and contracts will be with Wanli Education Group.
To apply please send CV and 1-page cover letter with your application.
Please quote ref. WEG 002
Closing date: Friday 5th May.
UNNC Affiliated High School
- Company type: Private
- Recruiter Type: Education/Training/Universities and Colleges
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities and Colleges
Established in May 2016, the High School Affiliated to the University of Nottingham Ningbo China or UNNCAHS (formerly Ningbo Wanli International School) is the first high school in China attached to a Sino-foreign university.
Read More >>
- Current Location: Ningbo China
- Address: Ningbo Gaoxin District
View in map