Design Studies Dept. Teacher – UNSW Sino-Australian High School Program (DIRECT HIRE)
Location(s): Nanjing, PRC
Positions: Design Studies Teacher
Classes: Design Studio; Graphic Studio; English;
Start Date: Mid-February, 2019
Please see below or visit the University of New South Wales Foundation Year website for more information about the classes. This is a direct-hire position.
The University of New South Wales UF High School Program is the #1 ranked offshore Australian program in China. The program is the largest source of undergraduate students from China for the Australian G8 with nearly 95% of graduates being admitted to Group of Eight universities over the program's history. In 2018, Over 330 students from the program were admitted to Melbourne, Monash, UNSW and Sydney. Program campuses are currently located in Nanjing, Wuxi, Hangzhou, Xi'an, Suzhou (Kunshan), Nantong and Xuzhou.
The program is the only one in China that has integrated a foreign university's postgraduate foundation program into the normal high school curriculum due to the normal high achievement and academic background of the partner schools and their students. Entering Senior 1 students (Grade 10) must be eligible and have the aptitude to handle an accelerated course of study completing all local and foreign credit classes in five semesters (28 months). An IELTS score of 6.0 must be achieved prior to their final year of studies.
Students apply for one of three study streams offered: Commerce, Physical Science and Design. The Design Stream is the only foreign program in the country offered to Chinese high school students interesting in pursuing university studies in Architecture, Urban Planning, and other Visual Arts related majors.
• Bachelor's degree in relevant teaching field (other fields may be considered with demonstrated work experience); Master's degree preferred.
• Minimum 2 years teaching experience (visa regulation).
•Ability to have degree authenticated through local Chinese embassy/consulate (visa requirement)
• Ability to obtain a clean police background check from home jurisdiction (or possibly where you have lived previously). (visa requirement)
• Ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administration in a foreign cultural environment.
• Commitment to student learning and to continued professional development.
• Ability to engage students in learning.
•Deliver curriculum according to syllabus and timetable through lecture, assessments, practicals, labs and homework.
•Teach projected 18-22 periods a week (45min periods)
• Assign and promptly mark class work, homework, tests and assignments.
•Be available and provide appropriate feedback to students regarding progress and encourage and monitor the progress of individual students.
•Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
•Prepare and promptly deliver required student reports to the program management, host school, and the University of New South Wales.
• Communicate with parents, co-workers, and the campus manager about the progress of individual students when necessary.
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience, education, position, and placement
• Furnished teacher's flat or housing allowance (~2000-3250RMB based on location)
• Airfare or travel allowance (upon completion)
• ~8-10 weeks paid vacation/year
• Paid sick days and personal days
• Domestic health insurance
• Tax services
• Airport pickup and personal orientation
• Sponsor work (Z) visa, Foreign Expert Certificate & Residence Permit
• All curriculum and teaching material provided (as developed by UNSW)
• Access to in-country staff and department heads in Sydney for academic support, professional development.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Please contact us for more information and to apply for this position.
Students interested in entering Design-related disciplines at University (including Fine Arts) need to develop visual literacy: that is an understanding of visual language common to all art and design disciplines. They also need the opportunity to explore historical and theoretical issues in a Design context. Foundation Design is composed of three inter-related elements: Design Studio, Design Studies and Design Computing.
• In Design Studio students develop technical and critical skills, and work towards managing an effective working process. Students learn to ‘read’ visual work and gain an awareness of the elements and principles of form and space. Ongoing teacher and peer feedback and critique are essential, as students engage in critical analysis of their own and others’ work and process. There is also a strong emphasis on fostering independent learning and creative risk-taking, and experimentation with materials and methods.
• In Design Studies students study the history and theory of Western design.
• In Design Computing students are given the opportunity to develop their digital skills culminating in a project that brings all aspects of the course together.
Assumed knowledge: In addition to attendance at lectures and tutorials, students are required to follow project briefs, manage their time effectively and prepare oral presentations to introduce their work and work in groups. Students visit galleries and exhibitions to expand their understanding of design and visual culture in a broader context.
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities and Colleges
The AHEAD Education Group develops and manages international curriculum programs in partnership with nationally ranked Chinese public high schools and foreign academic partners. AHEAD programs send the most students in China to Australia’s G-8 Universities through its University of New South Wales (UNSW) High School Program, the #1 Australian offshore program in China. Over 87% of its graduates have gone to the top four universities in Australia including over 250 to the University of Melbourne (#1) and the University of New South Wales (#3) in 2018.
In partnership with Wasatch Academy, an eight-time winner of best-in-state, AHEAD oversees a three year American high school diploma programs on four campuses centered around the curriculum of their nationally renowned American NAIS-accredited partner school.
The AHEAD Education Group's academic center partners are nationally ranked top high schools across China. AHEAD's key mission is to establish and coordinate international educational solutions for the brightest and most capable Chinese students seeking admittance to top universities in the United States, Canada, Australia and beyond.
- Current Location: Nanjing China
- Address: Nanjing, Hangzhou, Xi'an, Suzhou, Wuxi, Kunshan, Xuzhou, Zhengzhou, Nantong