The Teacher of Mathematics will report the Head of Mathematics, Senior Management and ultimately the Principal.
The post-holder will be part of a team of specialist subject teachers, a team which is expected to grow rapidly as the size of the school develops. He/she will work closely with others in the department to develop the subject at all levels throughout the school He/she needs to possess good organisational skills and also be an enthusiastic, energetic and innovative teacher who can contribute effectively to the department and who is committed to flexible and varied styles of teaching and in sympathy with the aims and objectives of the school. Timetabling and strong IT skills would be an advantage.
Main duties and responsibilities to include:
• be actively involved in reviewing curriculum needs and, in consultation with the Head of Mathematics, choose courses that are appropriate to the needs of our students;
• developing and managing coursework and practical assessments in line with exam board specifications, including preparation of such and supervision of students during such assessments;
• attending and contributing to regular subject meetings of Mathematics staff at which curriculum planning, student progress, and teaching and learning needs are discussed and good practice shared;
• participating in professional review interviews and regular lesson observations as agreed within the department;
• thorough planning, preparation and clear presentation of lessons;
• initiating, facilitating and moderating classroom discussions;
• evaluating and grading students’ work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress and development;
• researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials;
• selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment;
• preparing students for qualifications, including external examinations and as required;
• managing student behaviour in the classroom and on college premises;
• participating in regular departmental meetings, INSET, college training events, observation and professional review in order to maximise the quality of teaching;
• acting as personal tutor to a group of students as directed by the Principal;
• effectively using the school data base;
• writing regular, informative and individual reports on students;
• promoting the general well-being of students and communicating with the personal tutor responsible;
• participating in and organising extracurricular activities as appropriate and as required by Senior Management;
• complying with policies and procedures, including those relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection, Health and Safety, Welfare, Smoking in the Workplace, Security, Confidentiality and Data Protection, and reporting any concerns.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive. The nature of teaching and of education is that change is likely, either externally prompted (for instance a government or exam board reform) or as a result of SCBS-based initiatives. The teacher should therefore expect to undertake any other reasonable duties for the further development of the subject within the school and of the school’s academic ethos in general.
• a high quality degree with Mathematics as the sole or significant focus;
• a formal teaching qualification and teaching experience;
• an interest in further training and development.
Skills and Experience:
• the capability of teaching Mathematics expertly and confidently to all age groups 11-18, being up-to-date in his/her subject;
• a willingness to accommodate the needs of students from a variety of linguistic backgrounds is essential and experience in this is an advantage;
• confidence in IT and good IT skills, being able to pick up new procedures and routines quickly; particularly in respect of the school data base system and the further development of the VLE;
• effective and efficient administrative skills;
• the ability and willingness to contribute to the teaching of another science subject will be an advantage;
• the ability to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the College is essential;
• relevant experience in teaching, examining or in the commercial sector will be taken into account;
• minimum of two years teaching experience.
The successful applicant should:
• be a passionate advocate of his/her subject;
• have good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work as part of a team;
• be generous in spirit – the role is likely to require hard work and a professional attitude to the commitment required in a developing school;
• be able to communicate fluently and accurately in spoken and written English;
• demonstrate foresight and good judgement in the execution of managerial tasks;
• be confident in handling students at both ends of the academic spectrum;
• be flexible in outlook and amenable to change.
Hours of Work
Teachers are expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill their role to the highest possible professional standards, and be available for all scheduled lessons, duties, meetings and other associated activities. Academic staff are also expected to actively support school events as far as possible, and contribute to the broader life of the school.
Remuneration and Benefits
Details of remuneration and benefits are given in formal offer letters and contracts of employment.
Successful candidates are offered a point on the salary scale which is appropriate to their qualifications and experience. Housing allowance, return flights and full personal insurance are included in the package
Shanghai Concord Bilingual School
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities & Colleges
Shanghai Concord Bilingual School (SCBS) is the first bilingual private school in Huangpu District. Shanghai Concord enjoys the full support of the Party Committee and the Huangpu District Government and adheres to the educational policies stipulated by the Huangpu District Education Bureau, but within an internationalised context.
SCBS opened its doors in September 2017 to students aged 11 and 15, but will quickly expand with a Primary school planned to open on the same site in September 2018.
The school is located in the Huangpu District in the heart of Shanghai, in one of the most thriving, international and cultural areas of the city.
It is our intention to provide an outstanding education for both local and international students, preparing them to be the leaders of tomorrow, confident and honest, socially engaged and creative,
SCBS is proud of its association with Concord College UK and intends to emulate its longstanding tradition in holistic education, not only producing outstanding academic results, but also enabling the students to unlock their full potential in a social context. Concord alumni have gained entrance to the finest universities around the world including Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College and London School of Economics. SCBS mirrors the educational beliefs and practices of Concord College UK and is aiming to obtain similar outstanding results. It also embraces its core values of harmony, trust and decency and intends to build a community based on these values.
- Current Location: Shanghai China
- Address: No 53 Runan Street,Huangpu District