Our international curriculum center in Ningbo is seeking a college counselor to work with students in high school Grades 10-12, who are preparing to graduate and enter postsecondary educational institutions.
The role will help with nearly every aspect of matriculation, from recommending the best colleges for an individual to helping that person complete applications and submit financial aid forms. The college counselors may also advise students on their academic strengths and weaknesses or career choices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Director of Counseling and of the Center Liaison Officer (CLO), the college counselor will coordinate and direct all aspects of college placement and career guidance services. This includes the following:
- Meet with individual students and parents regarding post-high school placement.
- Publicize relevant information regarding post-high school placement (dates of college admissions tests, scholarships, etc.)
- Conduct college and career guidance advisory groups. Inform students and parents of college options and provide resources so that families can make the best possible decision.
- Facilitate students’ college application processes.
- Create a calendar and schedule college workshops and information sessions.
- Give workshops on college-level curriculum, activities, college research, college essay writing, test-taking skills, scholarship information, etc., in advisory meetings.
- Help students identify their strengths and the relevance of these attributes to their future.
- Develop and update college counseling publications distributed to students and families dealing with all aspects of the college admissions process, financial aid, test-taking practices, and other topics.
- Communication: Candidate should be able to give full attention to what other people are saying, take time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. Candidate should also talk to others in convey information effectively. It is crucial that candidate can communicate effectively in writing and understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents. Candidate should be able to be aware of others' reactions and understand why they react as they do.
- Service Oriented: Candidate should actively look for ways to help students. Candidate often works with people who are dealing with stressful and difficult situations, so he/she must be compassionate and empathize with their clients and students.
- People skills: Being able to work with different types of people is essential for counselors. They spend most of their time working directly with clients and students or other professionals and need good working relationships.
- Be Critical: Candidate can use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Candidate should also be able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making: Candidate can consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning: Candidate understands the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Education: Bachelor's degree in education counseling or a related field.
Work Experience in a Related Occupation is preferred
New graduates or young ESL teachers with TEFL or TESOL are also welcome to apply.
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities & Colleges
Dipont Education Management Group is a leading Chinese educational services company with a particular focus on the delivery of overseas curricula to Chinese students. In affiliation with highly regarded public high schools, we currently manage 12 A Level Centres (UK curriculum), 11 AP Centres (US curriculum) with 4 authorised IB World School, in a range of locations across China.
We also co-ordinate school-based college counseling, international educational exchange programmes, summer programmes and provide emigration and study abroad consultation.
- Current Location: Shanghai China
- Address: 33rd floor, N. 1788 Nanjing West road, Jing'an district, Shanghai