MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working within the IWA subsidiary Nanjing IWA Science & Technology Co. Ltd, the Asia & Oceania Regional Director is responsible for all aspects of membership development and engagement in the region as well, coordination of IWA’s regional activities, and dissemination. The principal duties of this position include: 1) growing membership and ensuring the long-term retention of members; 2) developing effective approaches to build and maintain the network; and 3) and facilitating the transfer of knowledge from IWA and the international water community to the region and the local water communities. The director will report directly to the IWA Executive Director and the position will include membership of the senior management team with some general responsibilities for the association’s overall strategy and work planning; participation in the senior management team meetings; and attendance at the Board of Directors meetings when relevant. The director will also have oversight and responsibility for the South Asia unit working from the Chennai Office.
1. Grow membership and ensure the long-term retention of members
• Develop and implement membership engagement strategies in the Asia & Oceania Region, through quantitative and qualitative market research and analysis which enable the assessment of market size and potentials
• Grow membership dramatically and engage members and partners pro-actively
o Key focus countries for membership growth include Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
o Key focus countries for membership retention include Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Singapore
• To identify representative water utilities/organizations in countries of the Region that have the potential to become corporate members, sponsors or partners of IWA.
• To identify opportunities to increase the visibility and influence of IWA members from the region
2. Develop effective approaches to build and maintain the network
• Engage with and support the activities of IWA Governing Members in the region.
• Provide an effective channel of communications between IWA and (existing and prospect) members in the Region and ensure that their needs are serviced to the highest possible level
• Explore engagement opportunities with prospective members, including individuals, water utilities, water related associations/organizations and universities with water related programmes. Collect information (such as size, name of programmes, focused areas/topics etc) that can contribute to membership growth and engagement.
3. Facilitate the transfer of knowledge from IWA and the international water community to the region and the local water communities.
• Identify and exploit possible channels and platforms (online & offline communities and magazines, websites, social media groups etc.) that can facilitate the work of increasing visibility of IWA brand and membership in the Region
• Provide knowledge and understanding of the challenges faced by or the best practice experience of the local water professionals from their region to IWA and the global water community
The above job description contains the main duties and responsibilities for this position. However, in a small organization such as IWA, the staff members are expected to show flexibility in their approach to work and be willing to undertake other tasks and missions that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular job description. Where any task becomes a regular part of an employee’s responsibility, the job description shall be revised in consultation with the employee and their direct line manager.
REQUIRED SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Skills & Knowledge
• Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, including demonstrable ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (in English)
• Professional knowledge on water and environment
• Highly organised and methodical
• Self-starter, action-oriented and results driven
• Ability to work to deadlines and cope with pressure, multi-task, demonstrate flexibility
• Flexible team player, with awareness of, and sensitivity to the multi-cultural and international environment in which the IWA operates.
• Mastery of English is essential, and working knowledge of other languages form the region is desirable.
• Bachelor degree in relevant areas (e.g. water or environment, business management)
• 8+ years’ relevant working experience.
• Good experiences working with C-level executives in the water sector
• Experience of and/or involvement in (international) events (e.g. workshops, conferences, etc.)
• Preferably with strong international connections from the water sector
• Preferably with membership community engagement experience and relationship management.
HOW TO APPLY
Opening Date for Applications: 01/20/2020
Closing Date for Applications: 03/20/2020
Applicants are asked to submit their CV in English and a supporting letter of motivation along with the names and contact details of two referees.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail to Ms. Jing (Crystal) Fan, HR & Office Manager IWA is an equal opportunity employer.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
International Water Association
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Non-ProfitOrganizations
The International Water Association (IWA) is a global network of water professionals bringing people and institutions together from across the water cycle to deliver equitable and sustainable water solutions for our world. The IWA aims to connect people with a diversity of backgrounds to generate innovative solutions and new opportunities to tackle urban and basin-related water challenges.
Each year IWA organises and supports many specialised conferences and seminars on a wide variety of topics in water management in locations all over the world. The physical location of these conferences demonstrates the truly international nature and global reach of IWA. Furthermore, the conference programme reinforces the name and brand of IWA and provides exposure to non-IWA members.
On average 35 conferences are organised per year. Some are fully managed and organised from the IWA office, some are fully organised by our members (Specialist Groups), and others in partnership (with responsibility shared between IWA office and our members).
Under the general supervision of the IWA Global Events & Awards Director, the IWA Global Events Manager - Logistics is responsible for all aspects of planning and executing of the international events of The International Water Association. The principal duties of this position include: 1) Events management, 2) mobilizing and managing financial resources for IWA events; 3) carrying out administrative duties as required.
In order to serve our members and partners from China, Asia and the globe better, IWA established a new Global Operation Hub in Nanjing, China in 2018. In turn, IWA has registered a new entity “Nanjing IWA Science & Technology Co., Ltd.” to undertake businesses of the new Global Operation Hub. By building units for event, incubation, learn and intelligence, IWA new Hub in Nanjing will accelerate innovation in the water sector and pragmatically reach water security and sustainability.
- Current Location: Nanjing China