as soon as possible!!
The Head of Art will report to the Executive Principal.
The post-holder will lead a team of specialist subject teachers, which is expected to grow in size considerably as student numbers increase. He/she will be responsible for the development of that subject at all levels throughout the School. He/she needs to possess good organisational skills and also be an enthusiastic, energetic and innovative teacher who can lead by example, who is committed to flexible and varied styles of teaching and is in sympathy with the aims and objectives of the School.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• reviewing curriculum needs and, in consultation with other staff and the Senior Management, choose courses that are appropriate to the needs of our students in both Compulsory Chinese and International Curriculum areas;
• initiating, overseeing and regularly updating the development of agreed schemes of work for all courses;
• liaising with the Timetabler and Operations team to ensure appropriate rooming and allocation of lessons which may require occasional availability to communicate in holiday times;
• developing and managing coursework and practical assessments in line with exam board specifications, including preparation of such and supervision of students during such assessments;
• leading regular subject meetings of Art staff at which curriculum planning, student progress, and teaching and learning needs should be discussed and good practice can be shared;
• managing art resources effectively and advising the Executive Principal on budget planning;
• line managing subject teachers including conducting professional review interviews and regular lesson observations as agreed within the department and in consultation with the Executive Principal;
• disseminating information regarding new resources and professional development courses to staff;
• managing and implementing the department’s Health and Safety policy, including the development and updating of all relevant risk assessments;
• contributing to the selection for appointment of new members of the department, including the induction and assessment of probationary teachers when appropriate;
• establishing and monitoring departmental targets and producing a self-assessment report each year;
• working with other subject leaders to develop departmental policies and to ensure that existing policies are implemented effectively;
• liaising with Senior Management, as appropriate, to ensure that departmental documentation is up-to-date and fit for purpose (for instance, subject descriptions for the IGCSE and A-level booklets);
• ensuring that students hoping to study Art at university are well-advised and have an additional programme of study that will prepare them for university interviews and pre-tests;
• ensuring that able students are entered for external subject-related competitions as appropriate to the subject;
• enriching the curriculum in the subject – this might mean inviting speakers to the college or taking students to relevant external events;
• liaising with the Executive Principal and Senior Management as appropriate, over issues of mutual interest.
• thorough planning, preparation and clear presentation of lessons;
• initiating, facilitating and moderating classroom discussions;
• evaluating and grading students’ work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress and development;
• researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising, writing and sharing new curriculum materials;
• selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment;
• preparing students for qualifications, including external examinations and as required;
• managing student behaviour in the classroom and on college premises;
• participating in regular departmental meetings, INSET, school training events, observation and professional review in order to maximise the quality of teaching;
• acting as tutor to a group of students as directed by the Executive Principal and Senior Management
• responsibility for developing the use of the SchoolPal MIS within the Art Department;
• writing regular, informative and individual reports on students;
• promoting the general well-being of students and communicating with heads of grade and/or tutor responsible;
• initiating, participating in and organising extracurricular activities as appropriate and as required by the Senior Management;
• complying with policies and procedures, including those relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection, Health and Safety, Welfare, Smoking in the Workplace, Security, Confidentiality and Data Protection, and reporting any concerns.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive. The nature of teaching and of education is that change is likely, either externally prompted (for instance a government or exam board reform) or as a result of our School-based initiatives. The Head of Art should therefore expect to undertake any other reasonable duties for the further development of the subject within the School and of the School’s academic ethos in general.
Remuneration and Benefits
• Basic monthly salary based on the qualifications and teaching experience/management experience.
• Monthly housing allowance
• Medical insurance
• Visa sponsorship
• Performance bonus
• Annual flight allowance
• Relocation allowance if moving from other cities/ countries
• Paid vacations - summer vacation, winter vacation, spring break, Christmas break (according to the school calendar)
• Professional development allowance
Shanghai Concord Bilingual School
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities & Colleges
Shanghai Concord Bilingual School (SCBS) is the first bilingual private school in Huangpu District. Shanghai Concord enjoys the full support of the Party Committee and the Huangpu District Government and adheres to the educational policies stipulated by the Huangpu District Education Bureau, but within an internationalised context.
SCBS opened its doors in September 2017 to students aged 11 and 15, but will quickly expand with a Primary school planned to open on the same site in September 2018.
The school is located in the Huangpu District in the heart of Shanghai, in one of the most thriving, international and cultural areas of the city.
It is our intention to provide an outstanding education for both local and international students, preparing them to be the leaders of tomorrow, confident and honest, socially engaged and creative,
SCBS is proud of its association with Concord College UK and intends to emulate its longstanding tradition in holistic education, not only producing outstanding academic results, but also enabling the students to unlock their full potential in a social context. Concord alumni have gained entrance to the finest universities around the world including Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College and London School of Economics. SCBS mirrors the educational beliefs and practices of Concord College UK and is aiming to obtain similar outstanding results. It also embraces its core values of harmony, trust and decency and intends to build a community based on these values.
- Current Location: Shanghai China
- Address: No 53 Runan Street,Huangpu District