Location: Nantong (Haimen)
Position: Academic English Teacher
Start Date: Mid-August, 2021
Please see below or the following link for a description of the UNSW Academic English class content.
The University of New South Wales Program UF High School Program is the #1 offshore Australian program in China. The program is the #1 source of undergraduate students from China for the Australian G8 with over 350 gaining admission to the University of Melbourne, Monash, UNSW and Sydney in 2020.
The program is the only one in China that has integrated an overseas university's postgraduate foundation program into the normal high school curriculum due to the academic background of the partner schools and their respective students. Students must maintain their academic standing through an accelerated five semester high school program as well achieve a 6.0 IELTS score by the middle of 11th Grade to maintain their enrollment in the program.
Prior to the final year of studies, students choose one of three study streams to the enter: Commerce, Physical Science and Design. The Design Stream is the only program in the country offered to Chinese high school students interested in pursuing university studies in Architecture, Urban Planning, and similar disciplines. The University of New South Wales partners with the AHEAD Education Group to oversee and manage the onsite HR, scheduling, and administrative organization of the program.
• Bachelor's degree in relevant teaching field (other fields may be considered with demonstrated work experience); Master's degree preferred.
• CELTA or equivalent or university English degree required
• Minimum 2 years teaching experience (visa regulation; waived for Master's students).
• Eligible for Chinese z-visa
-new z-visa candidates (degree notarization, background check)
-transfer z-visas candidates (release letter, reference letter, etc)
• Fluent English
• Ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with students, parents, faculty, staff, and administration in a foreign cultural environment.
• Commitment to student learning and to continued professional development.
• Ability to engage students in learning.
•Deliver curriculum according to syllabus and timetable through lecture, assessments, practicals, labs and homework.
•Teach projected class load of 20-24 class periods a week (45min periods)
• Assign and promptly mark class work, homework, tests and assignments.
•Be available and provide appropriate feedback to students regarding progress and encourage and monitor the progress of individual students.
•Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
•Prepare and promptly deliver required student reports to the program management, host school, and the University of New South Wales.
• Communicate with parents, co-workers, and the campus manager about the progress of individual students when necessary.
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience, education, position, and placement
• Housing allowance (~2500RMB/month)
• Annual travel allowance (8500RMB)
• 8-10 weeks paid vacation/year
• Paid sick days and personal days
• Domestic health insurance
• Tax services
• Airport pickup and personal orientation
• Sponsor work (Z) visa, Foreign Expert Certificate & Residence Permit
• All curriculum and teaching material provided (as developed by UNSW)
• Access to in-country staff and department heads in Sydney for academic support, professional development.
Thank you for you interest in this position.
UNSW ACADEMIC ENGLISH COURSE DESCRIPTION
Foundation Academic English is a skills-based subject which contextualises content within the four macro skills of reading, listening, writing and speaking. The subject focuses on the development of English language skills appropriate for entry into an undergraduate university. It combines theoretical knowledge with practical language development activity.
Topics vary according to the Program and from year to year. All topics are chosen for their suitability for developing the four macro skills as shown below:
Reading: skimming and scanning; comprehending main points; recognising styles appropriate to different contexts and purposes; critical reading; understanding relationships between ideas; understanding the meaning of unknown words; identifying bias, attitude and purpose; comparing and evaluating.
Listening: following and understanding the structure of an academic talk or discussion; comprehending the main points of a lecture or talk; taking effective lecture notes; recognising styles appropriate to different situations; understanding stress and intonation patterns; recognising marker words or phrases that indicate the level of importance of information; recognising the stage of information in a lecture; identifying the relationship between ideas.
Writing: producing a well-structured paragraph; essay-writing in an appropriate academic style at both paragraph and essay level; practising various written genres; developing primary and secondary research skills; note-taking; summarising, paraphrasing, acknowledging and referencing; developing bibliographies; incorporating evidence of critical thinking skills.
Speaking: becoming familiar with English spoken in an Australian academic context; participating effectively in a debate; participating effectively in small and large group tutorial discussions; preparing and presenting Summary and Seminar Presentations.
- Company type:
- Recruiter Type: Employer
- Industry type: Education/Training/Universities & Colleges
The AHEAD Education Group develops and manages international curriculum programs in partnership with nationally ranked Chinese public high schools and foreign academic partners. AHEAD programs send the most students in China to Australia’s G-8 Universities through its University of New South Wales (UNSW) High School Program, the top performing Australian offshore program in China. Over 87% of its graduates have gone to the top four universities in Australia including over 350 to the University of Melbourne (#1) and the University of New South Wales (#3) in 2020.
In partnership with Wasatch Academy, an eight-time winner of best-in-state, AHEAD oversees a three year American high school diploma programs on four campuses based on the project-based, student-directed curriculum of their nationally renowned American NAIS-accredited partner school.
The AHEAD Education Group's academic center partners are nationally ranked top high schools across China. AHEAD's key mission is to establish and coordinate international educational solutions for the brightest and most capable Chinese students seeking admittance to top universities in the United States, Canada, Australia and beyond.
- Current Location: Nanjing China
- Address: Nanjing, Hangzhou, Xi'an, Suzhou, Wuxi, Kunshan, Xuzhou, Zhengzhou, Nantong