Guangwai-Pacelli High School, Fuwan, Gaoming District, Guangdong Province, China
Guangwai-Pacelli High School (GPHS) is Wisconsin-based high school offering an English-immersion experience to Chinese students in a boarding-school environment. GPHS is located on a beautiful, growing campus in Fuwan, China. The facilities are newly constructed and exceed the standards of typical Chinese boarding schools. GPHS is a partnership between Pacelli High School (PHS) in Stevens Point, Wisconsin and US University Pathways (USUP) in Fitchburg, Wisconsin. GPHS represents the international division of Guangwai Foreign Language School (GFLS). GFLS is attached to the Guangdong University of Foreign Studies located in Guangzhou, China. GFLS is owned by the Gouxin Holding Group.
GPHS began instruction to its first sophomore class in September 2018. GPHS offers a U.S.-based high school diploma and follows the curriculum and Academic Framework of PHS. After three years of study and participation in the international high school, graduates of the program will earn a PHS diploma. The mission of GPHS is to provide our graduates with the English proficiency and academic skills necessary to excel in English-language undergraduate settings. GPHS is a pathway to US American higher education and to Wisconsin colleges and universities, in particular.
Fuwan is a quiet, rural setting 5 miles from Gaoming. Nearby there are opportunities for hiking and shopping. Bus service and Didi (similar to Uber) provide easy access to Gaoming. GPHS offers the opportunity to live and work in a peaceful setting while being part of one of the most dynamic and prosperous provinces in China. The next leader of GPHS will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to growth of the region.
The nearest major city is Foshan, located on the northern part of the Pearl River, 26 miles from Guangzhou, Guangdong Province. Foshan is a cosmopolitan city with a population of eight million inhabitants and has steadily become a vital part of an active economic zone with a well-developed transportation system for travel within and out of the city. Guangzhou, the provincial capital city, is located approximately 80 miles from Fuwan.
Position: Full-time, high school teachers for Math and Science
Location: Fuwan, China
Start Date: March 2021
Contract Length: 12 months (including approximately 50 paid vacation days/holidays) Annual Salary: From USD $40,000 to $50,000, based on experience, certificates, and degrees
Benefits: furnished apartment, and three meals a day provided when school is in session
Language Requirements: Fluency in English language; no Chinese language proficiency required. Cultural sensitivity and respect for the Chinese culture, lifestyle, and business practices is required.
Grounded in Pacelli High School’s standards, GPHS is a model of Wisconsin instructional practices. Instruction is provided by highly capable teachers who create a rigorous and relevant learning environment. GPHS shares a campus with Guangwai Foreign Language School, a comprehensive primary, middle, and high school. The entire enrollment is approximately 3,000.
Students are taught through various instructional processes, including project-based learning, student-led instruction, problem-solving, high-level questioning, simulation, work-based learning, and interactive instructional technology. Instruction is direct, indirect, experiential, independent, and interactive. This approach to education is delivered in a dynamic context to Chinese ESL students.
Minimum Qualifications for Guangwai-Pacelli High School Teachers:
• Bachelor’s degree in education or subject area (Math and Science)
• Knowledge of Common Core State Standards and effective instructional practices
• Interest in working in an international setting
• Commitment to linguistically and culturally diverse educational settings
• Interest in learning about Chinese culture
• Willingness and ability to commit to a 12-month contract
Preferred Qualifications for Guangwai-Pacelli High School Teachers:
• Wisconsin teaching credentials in English as a Second Language (ESL), English/language arts, natural science, social studies, or mathematics
• Experience teaching students who are non-native speakers of English
• Experience living and working in cross-cultural settings where ambiguity is part of daily life
Remuneration and Benefits:
• Salary is from USD 40,000 to 50,000, based on experience, certificates, and degrees.
• Furnished apartment on campus
• Three meals a day provided when school is in session
• Hospitalization/accident insurance
• Guangwai Foreign Language School shall provide occasional cultural outings.
• US University Pathways and Guangwai Foreign Language School will assist teachers in obtaining work authorization and visa for China prior to travel. Expenses associated with visa and work authorization are the responsibility of the teachers.