Westlake University, recently approved by the Ministry of Education, is new type of research university in China. Supported by philanthropists and the Chinese government, Westlake University aims to become a world-class, international university over the next ten years. At present, Westlake students pursue doctoral degrees in one of three schools (Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Engineering). Undergraduate students will be admitted in Fall 2022 following the completion of a new, state-of-the art campus.
The recently established Westlake Language Center provides language and communication support to students, faculty, and two staff. It will develop writing, presentation, and other communication skills through workshops, tutoring, consultations, criticism, and other programming. The Center will also provide copywriting, editing, and proofreading services to ensure Westlake documents, websites, and publications are of the highest quality. The Center will launch in December 2021 with a leader and two staff; additional staff will be added as demand for services expands.
Westlake University now seeks a full-time, experienced director with superb English language skills to lead the Westlake Language Center.
Position: Deputy Director, Westlake Language Center
1. Lead the Westlake Language Center; supervise Center staff; work with university leaders, administrative managers, staff, faculty, and students in carrying out Center functions and responsibilities.
2. Develop workshops on academic writing and publishing, creating and delivering effective presentations, effective use of communication software, and related topics.
3. Generation and quality control of English language university documents.
4. Tutoring/consulting on English communication for university faculty and staff.\
5. Organize events promoting effective communication, including language competitions (English and Chinese), guest speakers, cross-cultural symposia, and summer programs; coordinate Chinese language instruction for international faculty and staff
6. Other tasks as assigned.
1. Five or more years’ experience as an English language communication professional; three or more years management experience, preferably supervising communication, editing, copywriting, or translation professionals.
2. Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
3. Ph.D. in English, Communication, Journalism, Education, Education Administration, or a closely related field.
4. Native or near-native level English fluency; high-level ability in Mandarin Chinese.
5. Possess or acquire a strong familiarity with Westlake University and the university’s mission and goals.
6. Ability to plan and work independently with minimal supervision.
7. Detail-oriented, with strong communication, management, and interpersonal skills, a proactive and responsible attitude; ability to work effectively within a team and across departmental boundaries; ability to balance and prioritize concurrent tasks.
1. Experience working abroad at an English-speaking institution or enterprise.
2. Experience with international university administration.
3. Experience in building a new organization.
4. Related experience in scientific manuscript editing, editing/copywriting at international enterprises, or teaching English at higher education institutions highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits:
Westlake University offers an internationally competitive compensation package commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Application deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply:
To apply, please send the following documents in English as a single PDF file to us：
1. Cover letter and resume/CV
2. Representative writing examples demonstrating your English writing skills and how your abilities are a good match to this position
3. List of three professional references with contact information
Westlake University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals of all ethnic backgrounds and from all countries.